Talk about finding a need and kicking major booty as you meet that need! Our special guest is Toni Carey and she helped create Black Girls Run back in 2009 to help women of color find their bliss in running shoes. Since then she has literally helped hundreds of thousands of women get healthy and active.
In this interview, we talk about the inspiration for Black Girls Run, her hopes for the future of the organization, the importance of physical activity and living a wholesome life, and the need for more diversity and inclusion in outdoor sports.
Some of our favorite quotes from Toni’s interview:
Podcast Episode 38 Highlights With Toni Carey
- The reasons why she and Ashley Hicks-Rocha created Black Girls Run
- The challenges she sees in the black community when it comes to running and exercising
- How their Facebook groups raised their profile nationally
- Their partnership with Girls on the Run
- The latest trends in the running universe
- How to approach running with a zen-like passion
- Tips for wannabe runners who have no idea how to start
- Her favorite ways to crosstrain
- The need to increase diversity and representation in retail and in the media
Also in this episode, Jenn, Kristen and I discuss how we each try our best to help our own communities. You can get more information about the charity Kristen mentions here at More Too Life.
Get the episode with Toni Carey!
What are your best tips for newbie runners? Let us know in the comments below!—Margo
Want to sponsor the show? Yay! Drop us a note at [email protected]